Have you ever come home at the end of a long day, laid down for a quick “cat nap” and woken up four hours later? Maybe you don’t even make it home, your schedule is so busy, you’re dozing in the parking lot at the grocery store, or worse at your desk at work.
Sometimes our bodies just aren’t up to life’s expectations. We see our co-workers and neighbors seemingly breeze through the day while we’re exhausted.
Here are our tips for getting through that rough hour where all you want to do is sleep.
- Water. Did you drink enough water today? We recommend water infused with cucumber, ginger, and lemon/lime for an extra kick.
- Did you eat today? A busy schedule can detract you from eating. Another important question to ask is what did you eat? We all have those foods that energize us – and those that just fuel our nap-time feelings.
- Sugar and caffeine. It can be so tempting to fill up on caffeine and sugar to make it through the day – but be careful. You may be getting so tired in the afternoon because your morning has too much sugar and you are “crashing” from your sugar-high.
- Exercise. Get up and walk around the office, or the block. Go to the mail box. Stretch, and do some basic yoga moves. Turn on the radio/iPod/stereo and blare some upbeat music and dance around for a few minutes. Get your body up and moving and give yourself a little infusion of energy.
- You are not alone. Everyone has a lull in their day where they just want to sleep. For some its stronger, and for some of us it happens multiple times a day! Don’t be afraid to ask for help. Maybe you need to split your lunch break so you can take a quick 15 at four o’clock, or maybe you need someone to watch the kids for an hour after school while you take a power nap. Whatever you need, don’t be afraid to ask those around you for help.
Written by Jane